In the ArchiMate language, a viewpoint is a relevant subset of ArchiMate elements and relationships, put together on a diagram in representing a particular part of an architecture. ArchiMate suggests a set of example viewpoints. Each of them comprises elements from different layers. Besides, the Grouping element, Junction, and Or Junction can be used in every viewpoint. These basic viewpoints can be used as starting points for modeling efforts. But keep in mind that these example viewpoints should not constrain modeling activities. Organizations should modify the example viewpoints or even to design their own viewpoints in addressing specific stakeholder concerns. This article describes one of the many example viewpoints – The Stakeholder Viewpoint.
What is a Stakeholder Viewpoint?
According to ArchiMate 3.1 specification:
The table below describes Stakeholder Viewpoint in more detail.
|Stakeholders||Stakeholders, business managers, enterprise and ICT architects, business analysts, requirements managers|
|Concerns||Architecture mission and strategy, motivation|
|Purpose||Designing, deciding, informing|
Stakeholder Viewpoint Example
The figure below shows an ArchiMate diagram created under the Stakeholder Viewpoint. By applying a viewpoint you are allowed to draw an ArchiMate diagram with a subset of ArchiMate elements and relationships, as defined under the viewpoint.
How to apply Stakeholder Viewpoint?
To apply Stakeholder Viewpoint (or any other viewpoint) involves two main steps. The first step is to configure your project to use the viewpoint. The second step is to edit your diagram by selecting the viewpoint.
- Select Modeling > Manage Viewpoint from the application toolbar.
- This shows the Viewpoint tab. Click Add at bottom left.
- This shows the list of example viewpoints. Select Stakeholder Viewpoint. The stakeholder, purpose, concerns and related elements are presented on the right.
- Click Done.
- Click OK to confirm.
Setting a viewpoint to diagram
To apply Stakeholder Viewpoint on an ArchiMate diagram:
- Right click on the ArchiMate diagram and select Open Specification… from the popup menu.
- Open the Viewpoint tab.
- Select Stakeholder Viewpoint.
- Click OK to return to the diagram. From now on, you can select the subset of ArchiMate elements and relationships defined under the Stakeholder Viewpoint.