You can migrate your works done in another software to Visual Paradigm through BPMN XML 2.0, provided that the software supports BPMN 2.0. In this chapter, you will see how to import a BPMN 2.0 file.
Importing BPMN to the current project
- Select Project > Import > BPMN 2.0… from the toolbar.
- Specify the file path of the XML to import.
- Click OK. Note: All changes made in the project will be overwritten by data in XML. For example, if task Foo is renamed to Bar. By importing an XML exported before the renaming task, Bar will be renamed to Foo.
Importing BPMN to project with the command-line interface
To import BPMN to a project through the command line:
- Browse the scripts folder under the Visual Paradigm installation directory. For Mac users, you can find the scripts folder in the Visual Paradigm package by right-clicking on it and then selecting Show Package Contents. Then look in Contents\Resources\app\scripts for the scripts folder.
- Copy the script file ImportBPMN and paste to the bin folder of the Visual Paradigm installation directory.
- Start the command prompt.
- Navigate to the bin folder of the Visual Paradigm installation directory.
- Execute the script by supplying the required parameters. For example:
ImportBPMN -project C:\Demo\Demo.vpp -file C:\Demo\input\sample.xml Below is a description of the parameters:
Parameter Description Example -project Project path C:\Demo\Demo.vpp -file The file path of the BPMN file to import C:\Demo\input\sample.xmi