The objectives of Phase D are to:
- Develop the Target Technology Architecture that enables the Architecture Vision, target business, data, and application building blocks to be delivered through technology components and technology services, in a way that addresses the Statement of Architecture Work and stakeholder concerns
- Identify candidate Architecture Roadmap components based upon gaps between the Baseline and Target Technology Architectures
This section defines the inputs to Phase D.
- Reference Materials External to the Enterpris
- Non-Architectural Inputs
- Architectural Inputs
The level of detail addressed in Phase D will depend on the scope and goals of the overall architecture effort. New technology building blocks being introduced as part of this effort will need to be defined in detail during Phase D. Existing technology building blocks to be supported in the target environment may need to be redefined in Phase D to ensure interoperability and fit-for-purpose within this specific Technology Architecture.
The order of the steps in Phase D as well as the time at which they are formally started and completed should be adapted to the situation at hand in accordance with the established Architecture Governance. In particular, determine whether in this situation it is appropriate to conduct Baseline Description or Target Architecture development first.
The steps in Phase D are as follows:
- Select Reference Models, Viewpoints, and Tools
- Develop Baseline Technology Architecture Description
- Develop Target Technology Architecture Description
- Perform Gap Analysis
- Define Candidate Roadmap Components
- Resolve Impacts Across the Architecture Landscape
- Conduct Formal Stakeholder Review
- Finalize the Technology Architecture
- Create the Architecture Definition Documentny wider impacts or implications.
The outputs of Phase D may include, but are not restricted to:
- Refined and updated versions of the Architecture Vision phase deliverables, where applicable:
- Draft Architecture Definition Document
- Draft Architecture Requirements Specification
- Technology Architecture components of an Architecture Roadmap
The outputs may include some or all of the following:
- Technology Standards catalog
- Technology Portfolio catalog
- Application/Technology matrix
- Environments and Locations diagram
- Platform Decomposition diagram
- Processing diagram
- Networked Computing/Hardware diagram
- Network and Communications diagram